The Medical Gym at Mass Bay Spine & Sport Physical Therapy offers an environment for safe and effective exercise programs to improve overall health, wellness, and performance. Each program is custom designed to achieve your health and fitness goals, taking into account any current limitations you may have due to injury or illness. Whether you would like to lose weight, increase mobility, manage chronic health issues, become an all-star athlete, or simply increase your activity level, the Medical Gym has a program for you!
At the Medical Gym, your plan will be created by a team of Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers working in conjunction to provide you with a program that is best suited to your current state of health and fitness. Regular communication (and collaboration, where appropriate) with your primary care physician will also be an important component of your program.
Our Certified Athletic Trainers are medical professionals specializing in injury prevention, rehabilitation and exercise science. All Athletic Trainers at the Medical Gym have completed a minimum of a four year Bachelor’s degree, are certified by the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification, and licensed by the Massachusetts Board of Allied Health Professionals.
What to expect:
- A complete health and fitness assessment on your first visit, with regular re-evaluations to measure progress
- A custom program designed by your team of healthcare professionals to help you achieve your health and fitness goals
- A minimum of one session/week directly guided by a Certified Athletic Trainer (dependent upon the plan chosen), with all other sessions supervised by a Medical Gym staff member
- A variety of cardio and strength training equipment
- A supportive, positive and motivating environment that will ensure you meet your fitness goals
Who can benefit from a health and wellness program at the Medical Gym?
- Individuals with risk factors for chronic diseases such as diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, heart disease or high cholesterol, or those with chronic medical conditions that limit their normal daily function
- Physical therapy patients who have completed treatment but would like to remain active or achieve a higher level of activity
- Individuals with an upcoming orthopedic surgical procedure (joint replacement, ACL reconstruction, etc.) who would like to better prepare for surgery
- Older adults with a history of falls or osteoarthritis
- Athletes/active individuals who would like to incorporate more sport- or activity-specific training
- Anyone who would like to become more active and lead a healthier lifestyle!
Our plans include three scheduled visits per week, lasting approximately one hour. You may choose to have one, two or all three of these visits directly guided by a Certified Athletic Trainer. During your other visits, you will be given an individual workout that has been planned for you by your medical gym team.
- One-time fee for initial assessment: $79.95 – waived for existing physical therapy patients
- 1 guided + 2 supervised visits per week = $125.00/month
- 2 guided + 1 supervised visits per week = $165.00/month
- 3 guided visits per week = $225.00/month
- Consider the Value: one session with a personal trainer at a typical gym would cost anywhere from $60 to $95 for ONE SESSION, on top of your monthly membership fee. With any one of our plans, you receive personalized guidance from fully credentialed health care professionals at a fraction of the cost!
- And with no long term commitment you have the option to continue to receive the benefit of working with our highly knowledgeable staff month to month to meet your fitness goals or take what you’ve learned and continue your new lifestyle on your own, it’s your choice!
~ James Doherty
~ Jerry Bertrand
Lauren Plourde, ATC
Lauren Plourde is our Certified Athletic Trainer.
Lauren works with every member of our Medical Gym creating custom wellness programs to help members reach, and often exceed, their goals. Lauren received a Bachelor of Science degree in Athletic Training from the University of New Hampshire. Her experience includes working as a Strength and Conditioning Coach at the Rehab 3 Center for Athletes at Seacoast Orthopedics and Sports Medicine in Somersworth, NH, as well as working an Office Assistant at the New Hampshire Institute for Health Policy and Practice at the University of New Hampshire. She is a member of the National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA).